NDP STATEMENT ON INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY
March 8th, 2016 - 11:00am
NDP Status of Women critic Sheila Malcolmson (Nanaimo-Ladysmith) made the following statement on International Women’s Day:
“When women are secure and thriving, so are their families, their communities and by extension all of Canada. The NDP remains committed to continuing the fight for gender equality. Today we stand with women around the world celebrating gains in women's equality, and pressing for further action.
After decades of Liberal and Conservative governments, women continue to face crisis levels of violence in Canada. Indigenous women are still seven times more likely to be murdered than non-Indigenous women. Poverty rates among single mothers and senior women are increasing and women continue to make only 77% of what men earn for work of equal value.
The NDP believes the federal government has a crucial role to play in advancing gender equality. Strong social programs, including access to affordable housing, childcare, healthcare, and legal aid, create equality for women.
We will press the Liberals to:
- Ensure access to safe reproductive health care;
- End violence against women;
- Ensure shelter for victims of domestic violence;
- Legislate equal pay for work of equal value;
- Get gender parity on Crown boards and government agencies; and
- Implement the United Nations 2030 Sustainable Development Goals in Canada and abroad, including "Planet 50-50 by 2030: Step It Up for Gender Equality."
– 30 –
For more information, please contact:
NDP Media Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org